[bcbirdclub] Hornets

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 00:28:10 -0400

I found about 15 of these European Hornets stripping the bark from this
Chinese Privet Bush yesterday. Since they use plant fibers for nest
building, I am guessing that is the reason for this behavior. I noticed them
when I walked within a couple of feet of them and one buzzed my head. I
suppose I’m lucky I didn’t get stung because I read that they can be
aggressive around food sources, though I’m not sure bark qualifies as a
food. These are not Yellowjackets. These are much larger, almost 1 ¾ inches
long.

JPEG image