[bcbirdclub] Horn Mountain Birding

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 04:50:27 -0400

Yesterday Tom Hunter, Daryl Owens and I birded the 6 miles of beautiful Horn
Mountain, which is the mountain just south of Compton Mt, then we birded part
of Compton Mt and finally the Head of Slate Creek. Our species count totaled 58
for the day which included 12 warbler species. At least 2 Swainson's Warblers
were seen and heard in the head of Slate Creek and the Lawrence's Warbler was
still on territory there as well. While photographing the Lawrence's Tom
photographed another bird that we thought at first was probably the Lawrence's
mate, but the bird looked more like a male Blue-winged than a female. I'm going
back to try to get a more definitive photo of that bird.
It was a great day weather-wise to be out birding, and the birds were very
active. I wish more club members could have enjoyed it with us.
Below is the day's species list.

Horn Mountain

Turkey Vulture 5

Cooper's Hawk 1

Broad-winged Hawk 1

Mourning Dove 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker 3

Downy Woodpecker 1

Northern Flicker 2

Pileated Woodpecker 2

Eastern Wood Pewee 1

Chimney Swift 3

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1

White-eyed Vireo 1

Yellow-throated Vireo 1

Red-eyed Vireo 21

Blue Jay 5

American Crow 10

Tree Swallow 1

Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1

Barn Swallow 5

Carolina Chickadee 3

Tufted Titmouse 4

White-breasted Nuthatch 1

Carolina Wren 10

American Robin 10

Wood Thrush 6

Gray Catbird 1

Brown Thrasher 5

European Starling 8

Blue-winged Warbler 2

Black-throated Green Warbler 4 (1 visiting a nest)

Yellow-throated Warbler 4

Cerulean Warbler 3

Black-and-White Warbler 1

American Redstart 7