[bcbirdclub] Hawks at the new Hawk Watching Site!

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:14:17 -0400

Hi All,
Early this morning David Raines and I drove out to the new potential hawk
watching site near Peapatch, about 10 miles east of my place here on Compton
Mt. We arrived about 8:45 but the viewing area was fogged in. While we waited
for the fog to lift we heard and saw several bird species including our first
of the season Dark-eyed Junco, a Vesper Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlarks, Northern
Flickers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, a Tennessee Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warblers, a
Common Raven and 12 Wild Turkeys.

About 10:30 after the fog lifted we began seeing accipiters rising on thermals
out of the valley. We saw the following raptors:

Cooper's Hawk 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk 5
Unidentified Accipiters 5 ( Just too far away)
American Kestrel 2
A male Northern Harrier 1

All of these raptors were seen between 10:30 and 12:00 when we had to leave
because of other obligations, but the place does show promise.

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mountain