[bcbirdclub] Garganey, Fernald Preserve, Hamilton Co., Ohio

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 08:55:28 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,

Leaving Richmond, KY at 4:30 a.m. this morning was worth the long drive to
Fernald Preserve, just west of Cincinnati.  By 6:45 a.m. I had ticked off #503
on my ABA list, but I digress.  Most importantly I got to see the Garganey that
has been hanging out with a group of Blue-winged Teal there for the past couple
of days.  After 15 or so minutes the group flew off to another pond and that
was
the last I got to see of them.  As the light was so low at that time of the
morning, and with threatening storm on the horizon, I was unable to obtain any
usable pictures of the bird.

After the two hour drive home I later found out the bird returned about 20
minutes after I left the pond about 8:30 a.m.  I should have stayed an extra 30
minutes for that picture.......

Ed