[bcbirdclub] Fox Sparrow and Red-shouldered Hawks

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 21:40:21 -0500

We had our second Fox Sparrow of the winter under our feeder today while the
sun was shining for a change. Later, while I was in the front yard a
Red-shouldered Hawk started calling insistently from the backyard. It had been
perched in a tree there and had seen me and took to the air. It flew over my
neighbor's house still calling, then I heard its mate reply from some distance
away. They soon got together and left the immediate area. It is probably the
same pair that nested nearby last year. They should be laying eggs by now. I
cannot remember a year since we moved here on the mountain in 1972 that I
haven't seen a a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks here in the spring. It really
seems like spring has come when they start doing their flights and often
pre-nesting aerial acrobatics.