[bcbirdclub] Family birding in Hinton, WV

  • From: daryl.owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Buchanan County' <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 19:32:27 -0500

Hey BCBC,

The family and I were in Princeton on business this morning and decided to we'd
travel up to Hinton since it was such a beautiful day.  Bluestone Lake was
completely frozen over so all of the action was below the dam and there was
plenty.  We stopped at Bellepointe Park first where we were treated to views of
a raft of Redheads (lifer for me and Alyssa) along with the usual Canada Geese,
Mallards, Great Blues and a flyover by an immature Bald Eagle.  Later we
traveled downriver to Sandstone Falls where we encountered Buffleheads, Hooded
and Common Mergansers and more Redheads along with the aforementioned usuals.
One interesting side note was watching a male Hooded Merganser close to the
bank wrest a very large crayfish (probably 3" long) up from up from bottom and
swim out of sight while trying to finish his "supersize" meal.
Great day with the family and also cured our cabin fever.

Hope to see you all in a couple of weeks at Burkes Garden,

Daryl, Angie, Alyssa & Emma