[bcbirdclub] FOS Chipping Sparrow, Am Kestrel

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:37:40 -0400

Yesterday morning I heard the First Of the Season Chipping Sparrow singing in
the backyard. They usually nest in the White Pines there.
The Brown Thrasher that has wintered here is now singing from the tops of trees
probably to attract a mate or establish his territory, or both. He keeps
changing his singing perch. Sometimes he is in the apple tree in the front
yard. At other times he may be at the far end of the field or across the road
in the neighbor's pasture.

On the 18th I found a beautiful, male American Kestrel in a pasture farther
around the mountain. That's a species we don't see often up here.