[bcbirdclub] Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:50:55 -0400

Hi All,
We have had a family of 5 Downy Woodpeckers coming in to the suet feeders for
the last few weeks, but a couple of days ago I noticed that one seemed much
larger than the others. After a closer look I realized that the larger bird was
a Hairy Woodpecker. I was able to take some photos of the two at almost the
same point in the same tree.
Attached is a two photo comparison of the two birds. You can tell that both of
these birds are juveniles by the large amount of red on the tops of their
heads. The Downy, on the left, is smaller with a shorter bill.