[bcbirdclub] Downed Bluebird Box

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:39:30 -0400

This morning Lynda and I went to the Early White Bluebird Trail on Keen Mtn. I
was there to cut the weeds so Marie Miller, our much appreciated trail monitor,
would not have to wade tall weeds and grass while doing her weekly check of the
nest boxes. When we got to box number six we found the pole broken and the box
on the ground. The pole had snapped off about a foot above the ground. The
short section was still in the ground. These photos were not taken at the site.
We have had problems at this site before with vandalism and stolen boxes, so I
first thought this had been done by vandals or bears, but the weeds around the
pole had not been disturbed, and the box had suffered no damage. We have had
some strong thunderstorms recently, so it may have just been a strong wind that
snappped the pole. Fortunately the birds in the nest had already fledged.