[bcbirdclub] Chimney Swift Count

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 16:15:55 -0400

Hi All,
Chimney Swifts, the small black birds (they look like black cigars with wings),
that are often seen flying around near dusk, are on the decline. These birds
gather in large flocks at this time of year in preparation for their southward
migration. They can often be seen going into chimneys at dusk to roost. The
Driftwood Wildlife Association does an annual survey to see how the birds are
doing, and they need help in counting the swifts. During this week-end, the
7th, 8th and 9th. they want volunteers to go out and find a chimney swift roost
and attempt to count the birds, as they go in for the night, then go to the
Association's web site and put in the numbers counted at
www.ChimneySwifts.org

Several of you have watched these birds go to roost at Grundy High School each
year. Lynda and I are planning to count those again this year. To make the
counting easier I sometimes set up my video camera on a tripod and video the
flock going in. I then go home and play back the video in slow motion to make
the counting easier.

If you know of a Chimney Swift roost try to get a count during that three day
period. If you don't have the time to do it post the location of the roost on
the listserve, and possibly someone else will try to count there. We know of
only a few roosts in our immediate area, so if you know of one let us know
where it is.

Following is a part of a message I received from the directors of Driftwood
Wildlife Association about seeing the reports online.

Good Birding,
Roger Mayhorn

www.ChimneySwifts.org

Click on " A Swift Night Out" and follow the links.

Once there, if you click on the "For detailed information on each report" link
on the bottom of the map, you can view all of the reports in their entirety.

If you have not visited our web site lately, please take some time to look
around.  There is information on building Chimney Swift Towers, new books about
Chimney Swifts, a tour of the Travis Audubon Society's new Chaetura Canyon Bird
Sanctuary and video clips of a Chimney Swift nestling season at the "Chimney
Swift Web Cam" link.

Thanks again for your interest in Chimney Swifts.  When you speak to your
friends and neighbors, be sure to mention these fascinating and beneficial
birds.  Their numbers have declined by more than 48% over the past few decades,
so they need all of the friendly chimneys and towers we can provide for them!

Best Regards,

Paul and Georgean
Project Directors
Driftwood Wildlife Association