[bcbirdclub] Caney Island Branch Hike - April 17

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:58:00 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,

  Michelle and I made a quick hike around the mountain this afternoon.  The
birding was slow but we found Yellow-throated, Black-and-white, and
Black-throated Green Warblers along the way.  We also found a pair of Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers and a couple of Blue-headed Vireos.  Michelle spotted our first
Fire Pinks in bloom for 2007.  We also ran across some flowers that we could
not identify - please feel free to e-mail me the names so I can update the
pictures on the web.  For those interested, here is a link to some of the hike
pictures:

  http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/caney10

  I also included a picture of the 6 Bluebird eggs in our box.  That's going to
be a tight squeeze if they all hatch.  I also spotted at least one
White-throated Sparrow today - probably the most brilliantly marked one I've
ever seen.  He'll be leaving any day now and heading north.  We also still have
a couple of Juncos hanging around.  I expect them to head to higher elevations
soon - we are at the low spot in the county.  Other river birds include Wood
Ducks, Kingfishers, and Great Blue Herons.

  Shirley Justus also reports the Ovenbird has returned to her backyard.

  Ed

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.