[bcbirdclub] Breaks Sparrow Day-10/25

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:53:53 -0400

Sparrow numbers are increasing! I've seen Song, Wh-th, Wh-cr, Chipping, Swamp,
Field, & Savannah around our place this week. No Juncos yet, maybe they'll show
up Saturday. Lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers, several Palm and an occasional
Tennessee are showing up. Other birds noted this week include; Rd-sh Hawk,
Sh-sh Hawk, Turkey Vulture, Wild Turkey, Raven, Rd-bellied Wp, Flicker,
Pileated Wp, Downy Wp, both Kinglets, Indigo Bunting, Br Thrasher, Mockingbird,
Carolina Wren & Bluebirds. A flock of 30+ Rd-wng Blackbirds showed up
yesterday. Lets just hope the weather cooperates. Here are some directions to
our place if needed; from Claypool Hill take Rt 460 west to Grundy. Turn left
at the light in Grundy to stay on 460 for about 10 more miles to the
intersection with Rt 609 ( Bull Creek Rd). Turn left on this rd and continue
west for app. 7 miles to Breaks. You will pass the Golf course on the rt and
the Post office on the rt and note the Breaks Church of Christ on the rt. You
will take the next right turn after the church. This will be Happy Hollow Rd.
Less than 0.5 miles on the left look for a sign proclaiming Sparrow Day!
For anyone traveling from Abingdon, take Rt 19 thru Lebanon to Rosedale where
you will turn left onto Rt 80. Follow rt 80 thru Honaker, Davenport and Haysi
to the Breaks Interstate Park. Go past the park entrance(app. 0.5 mi.) and take
the next right. Go to the stop sign and turn left. Look for Happy Hollow Rd on
your rt and follow it to Sparrow Day sign on the left. We look forward to
hosting this event. Susan even plans to offer early birders some breakfast-say
around 7:30! Come on out and enjoy the day! Dave Raines