[bcbirdclub] Re: Breaks - Saturday

  • From: "David and Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 08:52:27 -0400

Hey Daryl, I'm excited too, especially after the birds I had along the Garden
Hole Road yesterday. I only had an hour but it proved to be very productive. I
first parked in a small wide spot on the right in a very insignificant looking
hollow that I've taken to calling "good bird hollow". It lived up to it's name
yesterday! As I opened the truck door, I heard a Yellow-th Warbler followed
quickly by Northern Parula & Black-th Green Warbler. Then I heard a very
high-pitched quick warbler song that gave me pause. Sure enough, in a couple of
minutes, I got looks at a brilliant male Blackburnian Warbler. On down the
road, I found a pair of Blue-headed Vireos, mewing like young kittens, as they
worked through the trees. Thought I heard the dry little call of a Least
Flycatcher & I did spot an empid species, but it didn't call anymore. I found a
pair of Bl-gr Gnatcatchers, a Black&White Warbler & an FOS Ovenbird . The
Garden Hole area produced an Osprey, Black & Turkey Vultures, a Red-tailed Hawk
, 2 f Mallards & a Great-blue Heron. I just hope the weather & birds are as
good on Saturday.
DaveR/Breaks,VA