[bcbirdclub] Bobolink in Tazewell County

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 19:24:33 -0400

Jane & I had a single male Bobolink today in the "Cove" section of Tazewell
County.  You may recall that this is the area where the Lassie movie was
filmed several years ago.  In fact, the Bobolink was less than a mile from
the school featured in that movie.  This is our first Bobolink of the year.
The nesting area in Russell County was disturbed last year by heavy grazing
of cattle courtesy of the same bunch that filled in the Mudhole.  Cattle are
in that field again this year so my guess is that another unique area is
lost.

Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms out there.

Jerry