[bcbirdclub] Bluebird Nest Cam

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 12:21:45 -0400

The four bluebirds in one of our boxes, that we are watching with the bird cam,
are almost ready to fledge. I have been feeding the parents mealworms and they
make trip after trip, sometimes feeding them two at a time to each young bird.
Here are a couple of pictures taken from the TV. We watched the young ones
develop the white eye-ring that appears around the 12th or 13th day. These had
no eye-ring on the 12th day, but by the end of the 13th day they had it. They
are now 15 days old, and they are getting antsy. They are much more alert,
flapping their wings and using their bills to poke among their wing feathers. I
think they must itch as the feathers grow. They are also sitting on the side of
the nest more than they are in the nest. They haven't started sticking their
heads out of the entrance hole yet, which is what they do just before fledging,
but I expect them to leave the nest tomorrow or the next day.

JPEG image

JPEG image