[bcbirdclub] Black-billed Cuckoo, Gray-cheeked Thrush, RB Nuthatch

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:15:51 -0400

Hi All,
Yesterday, 9/23, one of my former students, who now lives in Knoxville, came to
join me in counting warblers and other migrants here on the property. He is
fairly new at birding and got 4 lifebirds. We logged 50 species with 12 being
warblers. They were

Am. Redstart 2
Bay-breasted Warbler 3
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Black-throated Green 2
Chestnut-sided 1
Hooded Warbler 1
Magnolia Warbler 1
Nashville Warbler 1
Palm Warbler 2
Tennessee Warbler 12
Worm-eating Warbler 1
Yellow-throated Warbler 2

A Black-billed Cuckoo that twice made an appearance gave us great looks. That
is only the second of that species recorded here on our property. We have
Yellow-billed Cuckoos (Rain Crows) that nest here, but not the Black-billed. We
also had our first Gray-cheeked Thrush of the season. The Red-breasted
Nuthatch, that showed up on September 15th is still here. At least 6
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Swainson's and Wood Thrushes, Catbirds and Brown
Thrashers were busy in the Poke berries, Virginia Creeper berries and Wild
Grapes.

Other interesting birds on the move were

Cedar Waxwings 8
Chipping Sparrows 3
Eastern Bluebirds 4
Eastern Towhees 4