[bcbirdclub] Birds on Mountaintop Golf Course

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:34:28 -0400

This morning I drove out to the Mountaintop Golf Course here on Compton Mt to
check the bluebird boxes there. Seven of the ten boxes had eggs and one box had
two Bluebird nestlings a couple of days old.  Junior Hurley, who lives there at
the golf course, told me that he had recently seen a bear there in the parking
lot. Unlike the one that is in David Raines' part of the woods this one hasn't
gotten a taste for bluebird eggs and no boxes have been bothered, so far.

As I walked the course I was also birding and there were plenty of them to see
and hear. The warblers I encountered were American Redstart, Black-and-white,
Cerulean, Hooded, Ovenbird, Yellow-rumped and Yellow-throated.
Both Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos were singing. In fact a Red-eyed Vireo was
chasing a Blue-headed. I saw 3 Indigo Buntings, a male Scarlet Tanager and 3
Wood Thrushes.
In addition to 17 Chipping Sparrows and a White-throated Sparrow, I found 2
Savannah Sparrows and one Vesper Sparrow.
I had a total of 29 species just for the golf course.