[bcbirdclub] Birding By Bike

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ASK List <ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, KY Birds <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 13:59:22 -0700 (PDT)

Kentucky Birders,

It was a great morning to be out birding and biking.  Dwain Harris and I
completed the 70-mile "Green Monster" route at the Redbud Ride in London, KY
this morning but as any birder knows you can't turn off the birding.
Gnatcatchers and Warblers seemed to be at every turn in the road.  I probably
heard more Yellow-throated than any but also heard at least a dozen LA
Waterthrush and maybe half a dozen Black-and-whites and Paralas.  I heard a
couple and saw my first Broadwing of 2013.  Vireos were out in good numbers and
heard maybe 4 White-eyed, 3 or so Blue-headed and one possible Red-eyed (but
not sure on this one).  I heard one Brown Thrasher and sadly passed one that
had been hit in the road.  The Goldfinch were decorating the fence lines along
the way in full spring plumage.  We also jumped a covey of Bobwhite from the
side of the road and Kestrels put in a strong showing along the way on the
power lines.

Ed Talbott
Richmond, KY