[bcbirdclub] Bird Question

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn+" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:24:46 -0500

Hi All,
Since this concerns birds I am posting this bit of amusement for your enjoyment.

      A contestant on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" had reached the final
plateau. If she answered the next question correctly, she would win $1,000,000.
If she answered incorrectly, she would pocket only the $25,000 milestone money.
      And as she suspected it would be, the million-dollar question was no
pushover.
      It was, "Which of the following species of birds does not build its own
nest but instead lays its eggs in the nests of other birds? Is it:

      A) the condor

      B) the cardinal

      C) the cuckoo

      D) the hawk

      The woman was on the spot. She did not know the answer. She had used up
her 50/50 Lifeline and her Ask the Audience Lifeline.

      All that remained was her Phone-a-Friend Lifeline. She hoped she would
not have to use it because her friend was, well, a blonde.

      But she had no alternative. She called her friend and gave her the
question and the four choices. The blonde responded unhesitatingly: "That's
easy. The answer is C: the cuckoo."

      The contestant had to make a decision and make it fast. She considered
employing a reverse strategy and giving the host any answer except the one that
her friend had given her. And considering her friend was a blonde, that would
seem to be the logical thing to do. But her friend had responded with such
confidence, such certitude, that the contestant could not help but be
convinced.

      "I need an answer," said the host.

      Crossing her fingers, the contestant said, "C: The cuckoo."

      "Is that your final answer?"

      "Yes, that is my final answer."

      And the host replied, "That answer is.... absolutely correct!

      Congratulations! You are now a millionaire!"

      Three days later, the contestant hosted a party for her family and
friends, including the blonde who had helped her win the million dollars.

      "Jeni, I just do not know how to thank you, " said the contestant. "How
did you happen to know the right answer?"

      "Oh, come on!" said the blonde. "Everybody knows that cuckoos don't build
nests. They live in clocks!"