[bcbirdclub] Another Blackpoll on Compton Mt

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:27:18 -0400

Hi Again,
Early this morning I took a morning hike about half way down Compton Mt and was
rewarded with lots of birds along the way. In the short hike I recorded 42
species. The most unusual find was another male Blackpoll Warbler about a mile
from our house. It was in a bush with a singing Red-eyed Vireo and the vireo
kept advancing toward it until the Blackpoll left.
That makes 3 Blackpolls found in the county this spring and the 6th spring
record for the area.

Other interesting birds were American Redstarts, Black-and-white, Hoodeds,
Ovenbirds, Yellow Warblers and Yellow-throated Warblers, Yellow-breasted Chat,
2 singing House Wrens here in the yard along with 3 Pine Siskins and later 2
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers on the apple trees in the front yard.

I watched a Red-shouldered Hawk attack a Broad-winged Hawk as they circled over
the mountaintop. I think the Broad-winged had intruded into the nesting area of
the Red-shouldered. A bright male Scarlet Tanager came to the yard stream
(Photo attached). A Wild Turkey called from the woods and Wood Thrushes were
also singing in the woods.

I helped two young reddish-orange Red Efts out of the road before they got
squashed. For those who may not be familiar with Red Efts, they are the
immature land stage of the Red Spotted Newt. The adults are olive green on the
back with red spots and a yellow underbelly, and they live in water. The Red
Eft stage lives in moist woodlands. After a warm rain they can often be seen
crawling across the road here on the mountain.

Following is the complete bird list.

42 species

American Crow 3

American Goldfinch 5 (3m2f)

American Redstart 5 (4m, 1f)

American Robin 5

Black-and-white Warbler 1
Blackpoll Warbler 1m
Blue-headed Vireo 1

Blue Jay 1

Broad-winged Hawk 1

Carolina Chickadee 1

Carolina Wren 8

Cedar Waxwing 4

Chipping Sparrow 4

Eastern Bluebird 2m

Eastern Phoebe 2

Eastern Towhee 2m

Eastern Wood Pewee 1

Gray Catbird 1

Hooded Warbler 5m

House Sparrow 3

House Wren 2m singing

Indigo Bunting 3m

Mourning Dove 5

Northern Cardinal 8 (6m, 2f)

Northern Flicker 1

Ovenbird 4

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Pine Siskin 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker 3

Red-eyed Vireo 3

Red-shouldered Hawk 1 (chasing a Broad-winged Hawk)

Scarlet Tanager 2m

Song Sparrow 2

Tufted Titmouse 2

White-breasted Nuthatch 1