[bcbirdclub] An Arctic Snowbird Visits SW Florida

  • From: wdunson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wad4@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 01:57:12 +0000 (UTC)

The variety of birds at the beach can be challenging but it is very rewarding
not only to identify them but to learn about their habits. The variation in
migration patterns is quite astounding. Some birds breed in SW FL but many
migrate to distant regions. I was recently at Palm/Knight Island at dusk to
observe a large aggregation of birds. There were the usual gulls and terns,
many dunlins and skimmers, but of most interest was a large group of about 150
red knots. Our winter resident knots are dull gray in color, quite unlike their
reddish plumage during the breeding season. They are medium sized shorebirds,
about 5 oz in weight, with an intermediate sized bill that they use to probe in
sand for food. They breed in the high Arctic in tundra habitats near the ocean.
It appears that they fly to and from the Arctic via Delaware Bay, where they
gain weight for their flights eating the eggs of horseshoe crabs. Then they
work their way down the east coast, eventually reaching their wintering grounds
in the Gulf of Mexico. We know this itinerary in some detail due to the efforts
of scientists who have marked the knots with leg tags. One of the more exciting
activities I have on the beach is to search for marked red knots. I found one
in the group on Palm Island which had a light green flag on its upper left leg
marked 6C9; there was a silver metal band on the right leg. I checked on the
website www.bandedbirds.org and found that this individual red knot was banded
on Oct. 18, 2011, three years and two months ago in SC and subsequently
re-sighted ten times in SC, GA and FL. This small bird has thus made at least
four flights to and from the Arctic Ocean, a very impressive feat. Let's do
what we can to protect these marvelous birds while they visit us.

Bill Dunson
Englewood, FL and Galax, VA
http://lemonbayconservancy.org/news-blog/nature-notes-by-bill-dunson/