[bcbirdclub] American White Pelican in Buchanan County

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:36:12 -0500

Hello All,
At a recent county meeting I was asked by another committee member, Phillip
Vandyke, if it were unusual to see pelicans in the county. I assured him it
would be very unusual. He then showed me two photos, printed on plain computer
paper, of an American White Pelican that he said he had photographed with a
small digital camera back on September 26th in the Levisa River, not far from
the VA/KY state line.

I copied the photos and have posted them on my web site. The quality is not the
greatest, but is more than sufficient for an ID. The first photo shows the bird
sitting on a rock in the river, and the pelican shape can not be denied.
In the second photo the bird has taken to  the air, and the black on the wings
is evident. The photos can be seen at http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/pelican

According to Virginia's Gold Book there have been only 7 records of this
species in the Mountains and Valleys of Virginia (Western and Northern VA). To
my knowledge this is the first record for Buchanan County.