[bcbirdclub] American Pipits - Poplar Gap Park

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 20:25:57 -0400

   This evening the family and I went to Poplar Gap for a walk.  On our first
lap we flushed a small flock of birds with white outer tail feathers.  My first
thought was Juncos but something about the color wasn't right so I thought
maybe Vespers Sparrows.  I didn't have my Binos so I decided I'd retrieve them
the next lap in hopes they'd still be there.  When we came back around they
were still there and I could see pointed bill and tail-bobbing of an American
Pipit.  I had my scope in the car and tried to get a digiscope pic but
couldn't.  However, while trying to find the Pipits I found a  couple of
sparrows that looked to have the head shape of an Ammodramus sparrow.  The only
thing I could think of was a Grasshopper Sparrow.  I don't know the early date
for Grasshopper Sparrows but I do know they frequent that area.  Hope to see
everyone Saturday at the Breaks.

Daryl Owens
Oakwood VA

Sent from my