[bcbirdclub] A Cooper's and Titmouse Behavior

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 23:33:53 -0400

The Tufted Titmouse gives a melodic, single note repeated call that is often
heard this time of the year. Roger Tory Peterson in his field guide says the
repeated note sounds like "here, here, here, here". Last year I watched a very
nervous titmouse give that call over and over as it hopped around excitedly, as
a Cooper's Hawk sat nearby. I remember thinking that I had never thought of
that call as an alarm call and wondered if that particular titmouse's calling
behavior might not be the norm.

Today Lynda and I were working at our computers while listening to the bird
calls outside via a baby monitor I have set up near the bird feeders. We were
hearing the normal chatter of titmice, chickadees and cardinals as they
squabbled over sunflower seeds. Suddenly a titmouse began giving the "here,
here, here" call that I mentioned. I got up and looked out the window to see
why it might have changed its call. There on the ground under the feeder was
this Cooper's Hawk examining a patch of cowbird feathers from a bird that the
hawk had eaten yesterday. The titmouse was not far away hopping nervously about
and acting just like the titmouse from last year. I am beginning to believe
that the "here" call is at least sometimes used as an alarm call after all.
Maybe someone else has seen this behavior. If so, let's hear it.

Here is a photo of the Cooper's and a nervous titmouse. Then again, when a
titmouse ever not nervous?

JPEG image

JPEG image