[bcbirdclub] 2Great Egrets in Breaks

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 07:53:32 -0400

Yesterday morning I received a phone call from Jerry Owens, a local neighbor,
telling me about 2 large birds he had just seen near a small pond. From his
description, I suspected he had observed a couple of egrets. Needless to say, I
dropped what I was doing & drove over( only a 2 mile drive) to check it out.
What I found was indeed 2 gorgeous Great Egrets perched in a large Poplar tree
near the Bruce Mullins pond. I only know of one other occurence in this area of
this species. A couple of years ago a group of 6 Great Egrets showed up at
neighbor Seldon Clevinger's pond. I showed these 2 birds to my father who
enjoyed viewing them very much. Through binoculars we could see the beautiful
white plumes of both birds gently moving in the breeze. A special thank you
goes out to Jerry for bringing these birds to my attention. I observed them
again at 4:00 p.m. as they were actively feeding in the pond's shallows. Dave
R/Breaks VA