[bc-rfbd-beta] Re: New Update

  • From: Katie Walker <katie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bc-rfbd-beta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:56:31 -0800

Jackie,

I've added my comments below:

At 11:25 PM 1/14/2006, you wrote:
Katie,

As a beta tester, should I download the newest Book Courier update?  Or is
the update we downloaded last week the same as the newest update?

No, do not download the new release. I'm sorry I neglected to mention that to you guys. The release you have already contains the features in the latest release.

A couple responses regarding my testing so far:

1. In the two-disk history book that I transferred part of, I notice that in
several places, the words are clipped; some are missing a syllable or two.
When it is a number, that syllable can be crucial.  I also think that the
more I am jumping around in the file, using the various navigation levels,
the more the word clips appear.  Is that my imagination?  I don't know
whether the word clips are in the original disks or not.

I'll pass this on to Steve, see if he has any comments, and get back to you.

2. The only navigation level that is working as advertised is page
navigation.  Phrase navigation is working the same as page navigation - in
other words, in phrase navigation it goes from page 20 to page 21.  The
level 2 and level 3 navigation are not working in this history book.  I am
about to switch to the test book, Harry Potter.  (As you may recall, I
cannot use the test history book because there was a filter error when I put
the second disk in.)

Since I don't have the book you are reading, I can't check the file to find out exactly what navigation marks it has. However, you can probably do a little sleuthing yourself. Try loading the book onto your PC and then read it in the application you use for your other AudioPlus books. In that application check to see what navigation levels are available to you and compare them to the ones that BookCourier has. Remember that a book's navigation markers are defined before BookCourier gets it. It's very possible that the history book only has pages defined. In that case, the phrase navigation will default to pages. For more details about this, read through the Listening to RFB&D Files section of the web page (http://bookcourier.com/RFBDCode/).

3. Two things are driving me nuts.  As a student, I like to take notes.  To
do that, I need to go back a few words or a sentence or two.  I could not do
that with the navigation methods available in Book Courier.  Since only the
page navigation was working, I had to go back to the beginning of the page I
was on and listen to the whole thing till it reached the necessary point,
and hope I heard it right the second or third time.  Very slow and
inefficient.

Since this book doesn't have many navigation markers, you'll need to use Fast Forward and Reverse to get through the book in smaller chunks. The default increment for FF and FR is 5 seconds. You can change that to 1 minute, 5 minutes, or 10 minutes in the Settings List using the Fast Forward and Reverse Increment. You might also want to play around with Power Search. Use this link to access the documentation for this new feature: http://bookcourier.com/RFBDCode/BookCourierUserGuide.htm#2-5 .

4. Finally, not being able to speed up the book drives me crazy.  The
reading is way too slow to be of practical use in school or college.  One
has to cover too much material to listen to it this slowly.  Can't you offer
speedup possibilities?  Even if it causes words to be clipped?

Unfortunately, BookCourier cannot speed up MP3 files and I can't offer you a workaround. The speed controls work only for text files.

I'll let you know when I hear back from Steve on the clipped words.

Katie

- Jackie McCraw

Katie Walker
Springer Design, Inc.