[STC-Salt Lake] IBA Taps MoF to Amend Sarfaesi Act

  • From: "Anup Sen, STC, Salt Lake City, Kolkata" <anupsen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: E-Group STC Salt Lake City Kolkata <banknews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:00:31 +0530

From : E-Group, STC, Salt Lake City, Kolkata-700106

Dear Member,

Kindly double click on the enclosed attachment to read it.

With regards,

Anup Sen,
Moderator, E-Group,
STC, Salt Lake, Kolkata

email : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

To view our old mails sent to the members please login into internet & browse

For mails sent in the month of May 2004  :
//www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/05-2004/

For mails sent in the month of June 2004 :
//www.freelists.org/archives/banknews/06-2004/

Intra-Net Web-Server of STC Salt Lake, Kolkata:

Using Internet Explorer in ATM PC of your branch, please browse
http://10.128.74.200  (our Intranet Web-Site).
We have provided several thousand pages of Reading Materials for your benefit.
Happy browsing!

Send your feedback about our E-Group and Web-Server to stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

We are receiving emails from our members advising that they are not receiving
emails from us. In this regard we like to inform our members that there may be
two reasons for non receipt of the emails as under:

1. If mails are returned from your mail box (due to hard bounce) as there is no
space in the mail box, our system automatically delete your email from the
list. To avoid these, please ensure to download regularly the mails sent by us
and keep enough space in the mail-box.

2. Some of the e-mail servers (e.g. yahoo.com, sify.com, rediff.com or
hotmail.com etc) may treat our mails as "SPAM" and delete the mails. Some of
them put these mails in the "Bulk Folder". If such is the case, please take up
the matter with your respective e-mail service provider to sort out the problem.

However, if you do not receive our mails please send mail to us at
stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx

We shall be glad to receive your feedbacks through emails regarding the mails
being sent to you through this e-group.

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and kindly arrange to notify stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx
immediately.

Title: State Bank of India, Staff Training Centre, Salt Lake, Kolkata. : : stcsaltlake@xxxxxxxx : :

IBA Taps MoF to Amend Sarfaesi Act

Sanjay Jog

The Financial Express

Published on June 25, 2004

MUMBAI, JUNE 24:  The Indian Bank?s Association (IBA) has appealed to the Union ministry of finance (MoF) to amend the Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest Act, 2002 (Sarfaesi) for the purpose of deleting sub-section two of section 17, which has been declared invalid by the apex court. The apex court has struck down the provision of 17 (2) that required borrowers to deposit 75 per cent of the amount claimed by lenders before they could file appeals with debt recovery tribunals.

IBA has also sought ministry nod for filing a review petition against the Supreme Court order in the Mardia Chemicals Vs Union of India case, where the court declared the above section as constitutionally invalid and reduced the percentage of deposit provided in the section from 75 per cent to 20 per cent.  Mardia Chemicals had challenged the constitutional validity of Sarfaesi after ICICI Bank slapped a claim of Rs 1,400 crore. IBA at its recent meeting held on June 22 in Mumbai, had noted that there was a need to stipulate at least a small percentage of payment at the time of admitting the appeal under Section 17 of Sarfaesi.

?In the absence of any stipulation regarding part-payment of dues, borrowers would now be able to stop/delay actions by banks for recovery under Sarfaesi easily. Modification of the decision in the Mardia Chemicals case would impress upon the borrowers the need for repayment of the defaulted loans and curb any tendency on the part of borrowers to delay and defeat the efforts of recovery by filing appeals against actions of banks,? IBA indicated.  IBA has recommended that the transaction of securitisation and asset reconstruction may be treated as different transactions under the Act. For the purpose of securitisation transactions, registration of a securitisation company and other requirements of capital and capital adequacy may be deleted.

Once a loan asset of a bank or financial institution is sold/assigned, pursuant to securitisation, the risk in such asset passes on to the buyer (investor) and such loan ceases to be the loan of the bank or financial institution.  In view of transfer of the risk in such loans to the investors, there is no need for the RBI to regulate and supervise such transactions, after the assignment of the loan assets is complete. ?Hence, the provision relating to any regulation or supervision of such securitisation transactions can be deleted from the provisions of the act,? IBA pointed out.

According to IBA, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) should be empowered to regulate and supervise the activity of issuing securitised debt instruments for the purpose of investor protection. IBA has suggested that Sarfaesi be amended for the purpose of enabling securitisation of any financial asset, of receivable, belonging to any person, so that asset securitisation can be undertaken by any person in the financial market.  IBA observed that recovery powers given to securitisation companies by their declaration as public financial institutions should be withdrawn with the segregation of securitisation transaction from asset reconstruction and dispensing with the requirement of registration of securitisation companies special purpose entities (SPE).

As far as the recovery of securitised debt is concerned, the SPE may be empowered to recover the defaulted debt in accordance with the provisions of the law. If it is a private debt, the recovery would be through the civil court. However, if the debt is a loan or advance sanctioned by a bank, it could be recovered under the provisions of the Debt Recovery Act or enforcement of security under the Sarfaesi or by civil suit as the case may be.

IBA has suggested that every offer document to qualified institutional buyers in respect of securitised debt instruments be required to be filed with Sebi and any clearance and other compliance need to be stipulated for investor protection. Amendment to section nine and 13 should be done in such a way that an asset reconstruction company can exercise powers which are available to the secured creditor and such powers would have to be exercised after giving notice under section 13 (2).