[baisl] Re: Lib Guides

  • From: "Seed, Elaine" <seede@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 17:34:53 +0000

Hi Catherine,

We have Schoology and libguides. In my experience it is rather like Shoology –
watching TV in black and white and Libguides watching in color. Both deliver
information but I find libguides dynamic and versatile, I find Schoology
informational, more organizational, static and less visual. I like the
richness of libguides. The fact that they can be inserted into teacher’s
Schoology pages is a “collaboration” that I like and that works. I also find
that as our teachers use Schoology more and see what work goes into creating
such a creature, they have more appreciation for what we do for our libguides.
I also like the fact that I choose to subscribe to libguides and I can change
my mind any time if something better comes along or not. If I dropped
libguides and chose to use Schoology alone I would lose my option of “choice”.
Since Schoology was an administrative decision, I would have little say to keep
or drop it. I like being at choice and not having to adapt to surprises any
more than necessary. I find that often what works well for the teachers and
administration does not always serve the library in the same way. Schoology is
great but I’m a libguide fan.

Elaine Seed
De La Salle High School
925-288-8131