Badges - Re: Immigrants plead for end to fingerprint sharing

  • From: CHK8093@xxxxxxx
  • To: badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 17:46:41 -0400 (EDT)

If you aren't here ILLEGALLY, then you don't have a problem.  Blanca  was
arrrested for being illegal, not for selling ice cream.....of course,,,our
asshole President wants to change all that.

In a message dated 8/20/2011 4:29:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
CarlGlas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Immigrants who say they were hauled into jail for selling ice cream
without a permit and for reporting being the victim of domestic violence had
one
message for a federal government task force assigned to review an
information-sharing effort that gives immigration authorities access to the
fingerprints of arrestees: End the program.

Immigrant  rights groups and community members call in Los Angeles
Monday, Aug. 15,  2011, for an end to the Department of Homeland Security's
(DHS) Secure  Communities program, which was created in 2008
and calls for police to  submit suspects' fingerprints to DHS so they can
be cross-checked with  federal deportation orders.

More than 200  people, many wearing signs reading "Terminate Secure
Communities" and carrying  flags from countries including Mexico and Brazil,
packed
a conference room in  Los Angeles Monday night to recount their experiences
with a program they say  is making immigrants reluctant to report crime to
police out of fear of  getting deported.

"Every day I live the nightmare of this program,"  said Blanca Perez, 38,
who said she was arrested in February for street  vending without a permit.
"Now I am facing deportation for the simple act of  selling ice cream in the
street."

The meeting was one of the first  public discussions of the so-called
Secure Communities program since  Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Aug. 5
terminated agreements signed  with states to jumpstart the effort and said
that state approval isn't  required to share fingerprints.

The program touted by immigration  authorities as an information-sharing
effort has become a headache for the _Obama  administration_
(http://topics.nola.com/tag/barack-obama/index.html) , which has plowed ahead
with it despite
vocal opposition  from Latino and immigrant rights groups the president
counts on for  support.

Immigrant advocates say the program lands immigrants arrested  for
investigation of minor violations in detention and erodes their trust in
police.
They have also criticized the administration for giving the impression  that
local governments could choose whether to participate when it is in fact
mandatory.

States including Illinois and Massachusetts had decided to  opt out of the
program, only to be told that they couldn't.

At the  at-times boisterous meeting in Los Angeles, several dozen people
spoke out  against Secure Communities -- and the bulk of the crowd walked out
halfway in  protest after a speaker challenged the two task force members
leading the  session to resign. But a handful of people gave the program
praise, saying  more, not less, immigration enforcement is needed.

"Contrary to what  you have heard, Secure Communities does not seek out
hardworking, law abiding  immigrants for removal," said Anna Pembedjian, public
safety deputy for Los  Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich.
"Rather, it seeks out those who  prey on them and others in our community,"

On Monday, immigrant rights  groups urged members of the task force to call
on ICE to end the program and  questioned whether any real change would
come from the meetings held last week  in Dallas and scheduled this week in Los
Angeles and Chicago.

Immigrant  advocates are planning to hold protests Tuesday against Secure
Communities in  cities across the country.

Retired Sacramento police chief Arturo  Venegas Jr., one of the two task
force members overseeing the Los Angeles  meeting, said he isn't going to quit.

"We have the opportunity to give  voice to you in those halls of government
where in the past, in reality we  haven't had it," he told the smaller
crowd that remained after the walkout in  Spanish. "If we leave now, the work
will continue, and they will make  recommendations without our voice."

The Department of Homeland Security  said in a statement that it has
recently developed additional training for  local law enforcement along with a
new
policy to protect domestic violence  victims. It also said it created the
task force to make recommendations for  other changes, recognizing "that
there is room for improvement in the  operation of the program."

ICE is currently running the program in 44  states and plans to achieve
nationwide coverage in 2013.

Local law  enforcement agencies routinely send fingerprints to the FBI for
criminal  background checks when an individual is arrested. Under Secure
Communities,  the FBI shares the fingerprints with Homeland Security to look
for potentially  deportable immigrants.

An ongoing source of debate is who is getting  identified through this
fingerprint sharing. Since 2008, about 121,000  immigrants have been deported
after being flagged under Secure Communities,  ICE statistics show.

About 6 percent had no prior record with  immigration officials or law
enforcement; roughly 28 percent had no criminal  history, the statistics show.

That has led some immigrant advocates to  clamor for changes, such as
screening people after they are convicted of a  crime instead of when they are
arrested. Groups in favor of stricter limits on  immigration counter that it's
not feasible to wait for a conviction and the  sole opportunity for
consistent screening is during the booking  process.

Source:
_http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/08/immigrants_plead_for_end_to_fi.html#incart_mce_

(http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/08/immigrants_plead_for_end_to_fi.html#incart_mce)