Badges - Officer hailed as hero after saving choking baby (from the SunTimes)

  • From: CHK8093@xxxxxxx
  • To: TOPCOPS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, COPS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, offdutytest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 19:07:26 -0400 (EDT)

No better feeling in the world in my opinion, been there once myself with a
 71 year old man who had a huge MI at Easter dinner about 10 years  ago.

An on-duty Chicago police officer revived a child who was not breathing
Wednesday night in the Logan Square neighborhood
“I feel great that I kept the baby alive,’’ the officer,  Christopher
Elliott, told WLS- Channel 7.
Elliott, who is in his 30s, was sitting in a squad car about  10:30 p.m.
doing paperwork in the parking lot of a gas station at 2400 W.  Diversey Ave.
when a man speaking Spanish started banging on the on his squad  and
screaming, according to Elliot’s supervisor, Shakespeare District police  Capt.
Marc Buslik.
Elliott ran over and saw baby not breathing and the mother  and father were
in a panic.
He immediately began CPR by doing chest compression and  turned the
15-month-old boy over on his back, said Buslik.
Some food came up clearing the child’s airway, and the child  began
breathing on his own, said Buslik.
An ambulance responded to the scene and the baby was taken to  Children’s
Memorial Hospital.
“He saved the baby’s life’’’ said Buslik who said Elliott  told him: “I
just took the baby and I did what I was supposed to do.’’
“This is the what the police do every day that doesn’t get  noticed,’’
said Buslik. “This is the normal course of business.’’
Elliott, a Polish immigrant, is a 4-year veteran of the  police department
and is attending school to get a teaching certificate so he  can teach math
for a part-time job, according to Buslik.ng choking  baby