Badges - Cutbacks At Medical Examiner's Office Hurting Families, Police

  • From: CarlGlas@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 08:12:36 -0500

Cutbacks At Medical Examiner's Office Hurting Families, Police
By Robert Arnold

May 26, 2011

HOUSTON -- Whether it is a murder or your loved dies peacefully of natural causes, the Harris County Medical Examiner's Office is called to investigate almost every death. Last year, the office received 9,000 so-called "death calls." However, economic cutbacks have stretched staff at the office so thin that many worry crucial information will be missed and families will suffer additional burdens at a time when they are already grief-stricken.

Video: Medical Examiner's Office Cutbacks Hurt Families, Police

"The job is emotionally and mentally challenging," Harris County Forensic Investigator Roxanne Mena said.

Forensic investigators are called to look for clues, catalog evidence and help determine how a person died. It's a job made more challenging by cutbacks.

"We've had to change our service level, and we don't want to have to do that," said Mena.

When a person dies, by law, the medical examiner's office has to issue an official death certificate. Without this certificate, families cannot collect insurance money or death benefits -- money many families need to pay bills and, more urgently, pay for funeral expenses.

"A lot of times the family is dependent on that deceased person's income," said Mena.

Mena said the financial cutbacks in staff have created a backlog. Mena said sometimes it can take the office up to three months to issue a death certificate.

"So many phone calls, you know, 'I'm going to lose my house. I need the death certificate. The insurance company won't accept a pending death certificate,'" Mena described as calls she and her colleagues frequently receive from family members.

Last year, the office completed 5,114 death certificates.

This problem can be especially troubling for a family whose loved one's last wishes or religious beliefs require cremation. State law allows a person to be buried with a "pending" death certificate but prohibits a person from being cremated until a final death certificate is issued.

"The burden is completely on the family," said Noe Santana, owner of Santana Funeral Directors. "You can't pick up the phone when a bill collector calls and say, 'Look, we do have the money; it's just going to take a little time,'" said Santana.

According to information maintained by the office, since 2009, the number of forensic investigators working in the office has dropped from 26 to 16. The number of morgue staff has dropped from 34 to 22 employees.

Mena said that before the cutbacks, investigators responded to 100 percent of death scenes. In 2010, forensic investigators were only able to make it 62 percent of the more than 2,000 scenes requiring investigation. For the first three months of this year, investigators made it to roughly 40 percent of death scenes. According office records, there are some months forensic investigators only made between 29 and 35 percent of the scenes they were called to investigate.

"We're even having to skip some homicides because we just don't have the staff to go," said Mena.

That means investigators have to work cases by phone, taking longer to gather information and determine a cause of death.

"Is there a concern that something might get missed?" Local 2 investigator Robert Arnold asked.

"Absolutely," Mena answered. "We're not going to be able to make our scenes. We're going to lose that information. We're going to have families that go longer without knowing why their loved died."

The office staff is stretched so thin that police officers sometimes sit for hours, not answering other calls for help, but waiting for either a forensic investigator to arrive, or for the office to transport a body to the morgue. Currently, the office has four vans to transport bodies, but not enough staff to run all four vans 24 hours a day.

"They don't want to wait for the medical examiner to arrive," said Mena.

Mena said that if a forensic investigator can't make it to a scene, then detectives do not have that extra set of critical eyes to help solve a case. All of this adds up to a financial crisis burdening families, police officers and straining a staff of 16 investigators asked to investigate thousands of deaths a year.

"You get, you know, burned out. You get really tired," said Mena.

The office's overall budget has been cut from just over to $24 million in fiscal year 2010, to just above $18 million for fiscal year 2012.

These cutbacks are can also affect how long it takes for the office to release a person's body for burial. The law requires a law enforcement officer to be present when a body is released from the morgue to a funeral home. The office used to have four deputy constables helping perform this task around the clock and on weekends. However, the cutbacks forced the office to work with only two deputy constables, forcing a cutback in the hours the morgue can legally release a body.

Mena said sometimes a family can wait up to two days before retrieving their loved one for burial.

"We don't want to delay that process," said Mena.

When contacted by Local 2 Investigates, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett issued this statement: "This just isn't the way the county does business or should do business. If Dr. Sanchez has complaints about his budget (as does almost every department head in Harris County), he could have called Judge Emmett months ago and made his case to try to resolve some of these problems. He did not do so, and instead apparently chose to air his grievances after the fact and through the media. To say that the public is poorly served by this sort of back-channel navigation is an understatement, and the judge will not be a part of it."

The Badges Law Enforcement Discussion Group - Est. 1997