[AZ-Observing] was: Juno at opposition, now dusty AZ

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 21:37:13 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 I thought I was the only one having problems with my email
being stripped of punctuation and paragraph organization! Your email structure
looks okay when I see your incoming messages. I wonder if it just happens when
your/my "sent email" comes back to us. I saw someone else's email come through
in all ASCII characters a couple times. I still can't look at the images posted
by another member whose name escapes me now. I just love to hate computers!
They're like cars, when they work they're wonderful but when they don't it's a
nightmare. Has it been dusty up there? Our skies have not been very dark at
all, but interestingly the seeing has been pretty good though it's been windier
than all get-out day and night. I was chased back into the house because it was
so windy a couple nights ago. That being said, I had a good night surveying
some pretty close doubles, mostly around 1-2 arcsec separation and had no
problem splitting them though I would like to have seen more pinpointed stars.
I had a question for the reflector afficionados in the group: my secondary
mirror support oscillates (rings) pretty badly when it is windy. The support is
very close to the front of the OTA and I have thought about putting a dew
shield in front to isolate it better from the external environment. I wondered
whether anybody has experimented with something like Kevlar or carbon composite
materials to stiffen and reduce the secondary oscillations which cause the
stars in my telescope to appear very astigmatic for several seconds and makes
it impossible to observe. The idea is to keep the support vanes as thin as
possible to keep diffraction effects to a minimum. Is there some product out
there already available?  Part of the reason I moved from southern California
(other than to get a job!) was to get away from the Santa Ana winds. It seems
to be just as bad here at times, especially in the spring. I saw a very
interesting sunset here a few days ago. The sun did not turn orange as it set
in the west, but was very dim and white. Our local mountains (the Rincons)
which are usually wonderfully detailed completely disappeared.
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)