[AZ-Observing] sunspot activity

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, haclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 23:59:37 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 Nice drawing, Alan (see his drawing at his website Lost
Pleiade). Upon Dean Ketelsen's suggestion, I, too, took a look at the sun
through my number 13 density welder's glass with my unaided eye and could see
one dense spot north of center. I then tried a view through my binoculars,
blocking one of the oculars out and holding my welder's glass in front of the
other. I was able to see pretty much what Alan shows in his drawing. I saw
three dense active regions with a retinue of activity around them and two
smaller ones off by themselves. The viewing had to be quick because the cloud
cover was dense and there would only be very short periods when the sun showed
itself. I sat out there for about 30 minutes at around 3:30pm and managed to
get no more than a minute's worth of viewing, usually no more than 10 seconds
at a time. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow. Luckily the sun rotates slowly
and we have a few days to take in the sights. It's good to see the sun behaving
like the days of yore! Looks like I may have to mount that welder's glass on
front of one of my small telescopes if this keeps up.
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)