[AZ-Observing] Re: iridescent green mother of pearl sky

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 19:51:54 -0700

Hi Bill,

We spoke with each other when you were looking at the event and I
mentioned a couple links that have much of the science behind these sort
of solar refraction effects.  Here are the links, the first one has a
list of about thirty different effects, with photos and explanations of
the mechanism.  Check out the entry under cloud iridescence under other
phenomenon.

Andrew

http://www.meteoros.de/indexe.htm
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/opt/ice/halo/22.rxml

afls@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I would like an explanation please of the following.
>
> Saturday, May 2 at Kartchner Caverns State Park, was the middle of the four
> day Astrofest with speakers and nightly star parties. Towards sunset the sun
> was shining through high cirrus clouds. A large section of the clouds
> southeast of the sun became incredibly brilliant mother of pearl blue and
> rich aqua green.  This area was NOT 22* south of the sun and absolutely NOT
> sundogs, nor were they in line to be sun pillars.  In fact the phenomenon was
> not at all symmetrical.  What is this?
>
> Bill Peters
> afls@xxxxxxx

Andrew Cooper