[AZ-Observing] Re: first impressions - Saddle Mtn/Gasline site

  • From: "Peter Argenziano" <pargenz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 09:49:14 -0700

Thanks for the report, Matt. I was unable to make it out there last night,
and it sounds like the sky wasn't overly cooperative anyway.

I was most interested in your comments about the headlights along Dobbins.
How late did you stay? Did the traffic decrease as it got later? What was
the observed frequency of vehicles?

What impressed me about this site initially was the absence of lights along
the horizon. This has gotten pretty bad out at Flatiron.

I don't think we can eliminate the light dome from metropolis at any of our
desert floor sites, but I found it less intrusive here than at, say, Vekol
Road.

As to drive times, I think it depends on where you're coming from. Surely
those folks living on the northwest side of Phoenix perceive an hours drive
as being ideal. But, a few of the regular observers are driving from the
east valley - so a drive of up to 90 minutes is expected. Speaking
personally, and admittedly in the minority, my 'drive time tolerance' is
closer to 2 hours. This is especially true on New Moon weekend, as I'm
likely staying until dawn anyway.

I'll reserve my final evaluation on this new site until such time that I've
been able to have a night of observing there.

Peter