[AZ-Observing] Re: [amastro] Re: Solar eclipse

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 20:05:18 -0700 (MST)

     We had a couple hundred people up at the observatory on Mars Hill
to view the eclipse.  As in much of the Southwest, the sky was cloudless,
with very pleasant temperatures, and still bone dry of course.  The
tourguide crew set up several viewing stations (the Sun was getting into
the trees by the end), including several 'sunspotter' kits that folks
could deal with themselves, a few ordinary telescopes with filters, and
a small H-alpha telescope.  Tourguide Tim Rodriquez also had a couple
of small mirrors place strategically to simply reflect the Sun's image
onto sides of buildings ~20 meters away so that crowds could view it
together (or pose the family for a photograph gathered around the
crescent image).
     Bill Ferris and gang from the Flagstaff club held public viewing
elsewhere in Flagstaff, and I'm sure he'll report once he gets home.

\Brian

messages.  Thanks.