[AZ-Observing] Re: Weekend at Antennas site

  • From: Chris Hanrahan <chris.hanrahan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:53:22 -0500

All,
I was shooting for a Friday early evening arrival but I don't think I can make
it out there before astronomical twilight ends.  See you all Saturday night.
Chris

---- Steve Coe <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Howdy all;
It looks like it will be clear for at least a few nights...hooray!

I am the speaker at PAS for Thursday night and once I am finished with the
talk, I am going to consider driving out to the Antennas site at Hovatter
road for a three nighter.  I hope that some of you can join in.  If there
are a few who have not been there before on the list, directions below.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Hovatter Road  "Antennas"  site

N 33 35 03   W 113 37 55

This site is 100 miles from central Phoenix.  Drive west on I-10 to the
Hovatter Road exit; that is exit number 53.  This is about 40 miles past the
Palo Verde nuclear power plant.  At the end of the off ramp, turn left over
the freeway and drive over the canal and then the road takes a sharp right
and the pavement ends at a "dead end" sign.  Turn left at the sign and you
will be headed directly toward some radio and cell phone antennas.  After
you pass the antennas the road takes a sharp right and makes its way through
a wash or stream gulley; then the road levels off for half a mile before you
pass into a second gulley.  As soon as you come out of the second gulley the
observing site is on your left.  It is a large desert pavement that is
exactly 2 miles from the I-10 freeway.  There is an old computer box shot
full of holes at the entrance.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat