[AZ-Observing] Re: Web Cam Saturn with a 5"

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Reply-To:az-observing"@freelists.org
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:49:54 -0700

I didn't know that Saturn's A ring was redshifted.  The image is well
focused, but the amount of sharpening in his processing is a bit high for
my taste.  I bet his raw, stacked image would benefit from better
processing.

To bring the topic back to observing, one interesting thing to look for
is that Saturn's rings are now noticably less inclined than they were
when it was in the evening sky last March, when his image was taken.
Check out how Cassini's Division passes behind the globe in the March
image to this one, taken recently by the master of Webcam imaging, Eric
Ng.

http://www.ort.cuhk.edu.hk/ericng/Saturn_200312131646-1736_eric.jpg

The difference in inclination is about 1.5 degrees.

Tom