[AZ-Observing] Re: Vekol Road is dangerous? (was Vekol Rd--A Night to Remember)

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:35:40 -0700

Hi Joe, et al;

I have not been to Vekol Rd in many years, since I live at 7th Street
and Thunderbird it is rarely worth the drive versus just going to
Sentinel.

However, I think that safety is a prime discussion for both sites.  Next
month is the Sentinel-Schwaar Star Gaze for Nov. 13 and I think I might
take the time to stop in the Sheriff's office in Gila Bend and tell him
that we are going to be there for that weekend.  I have had a deputy
stop by several times at Sentinel and see what we were doing.

Same basic discussion at Sentinel, several dark vehicles have made their
way past on their way to I-8 but no incidents.  Also, no snakes, there
is very little water around that location maybe that is what keeps the
rattlers away, I don't know.

Maybe it is time to reconsider some of these observing sites and see if
something a little safer is a good choice.  For the west side gang,
maybe that would involve some site off of I-10 rather than I-8.  As Joe
said, maybe a site north of the freeway is a safer choice in the area or
Vekol.

It certainly seems worth some time to investigate other observing sites.
I don't know of another choice in the area of Sentinel, I have taken the
road to the north, toward Aqua Caliente, and it does not have any turn
offs that I found.  However, it might be worth another look.  Maybe the
Sheriff's dept. could point toward a safer site?

Clear Skies;
Steve Coe