[AZ-Observing] Try for the Geminids!

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 03:27:04 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244

The weather has been very good here in So AZ for the past few days. Tucson had
record highs today and the night time temps have been reasonable. The seeing
and transparency have been good. I've been taking advantage of the weather
observing faint galaxy clusters, but I took a couple hours from the telescope
last night to sit in my lounge chair and watch for meteors. I had some pretty
good results, seeing about a _hundred_ Geminids in the time I was out and I'm
not all that experienced at meteor observing.

Tonight should be better since the max is supposed to be tonight (Monday
night). Last night I noted lots of faint, short duration meteors with a few
bright bolides on occasion. I thought it was well worth the effort and will be
out there again tonight after the moon sets around midnight. Wrap yourself up
warmly and keep your thermos of something hot to drink next to you!

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)