[AZ-Observing] Re: Transit preparations

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 11:41:52 -0700

Thanks, Tom. Mingus mountain is about 2600 ft higher than my Dewey home,
which itself is at 5140 ft elevation.  Because the aureole is only about
0.05 arc seconds wide, does anyone have an opinion on whether a trip to
Minus Mountain would be a good idea? It is not far from me, maybe less
than 30 miles, but I would have to scout it out tomorrow to see if I can
find a spot open enough to see the entire transit.

Since I am using a Lunt Wedge which drastically reduces the amount of
light entering the eyepiece, I assume I would not be able to see a
Venusian rocket ship leaving the planet against the dark disk of Venus. :-)
Stan