[AZ-Observing] Re: Touring The Sky

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:25:14 -0400 (EDT)

OOPS, he said the stars were in front of the clouds.

Jim  O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star  Party
gcsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/18/2011 2:12:10 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
Skylook123@xxxxxxx writes:

Same  here.  I had a customer at the Grand Canyon a few years ago who
seemed quite intelligent, young man here as a student with his family
visiting
from India or Pakistan.  Very nice people.  The  cloud bank rising in  the
East got his attention, and he was dismayed  we would have to stop
observing.
Nope, says I, that's the  Milky Way, lots more eye candy.   No he says,
that's  clouds.  I tip the 18" truss dob over to that area, have  him bend
over
and look into the eyepiece and see the richness of the star   field.  So
what
does he say then?  Oh, those stars are in front  of the  stars.  Ten or
twelve
other visitors quickly turned  their backs and shook  their heads.  Never
did convince  him!

Jim  O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon  Star  Party
gcsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated  9/18/2011 1:31:56 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx  writes:

I always  get the alarmed "What is that big glowing cloud  over there! Is
it
storm,  a fire?" "No, none of those, that is  you parent galaxy the Milky
Way"
Cute  but sad...

Thank  you,

Jimmy Ray