[AZ-Observing] The Sky Tonight

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:24:43 -0700

I know I am not bragging because I know a lot of other amateurs have the
same telescope performance as mine, but it is amazing. It had been about
2 weeks or longer when I last had the scope up. Tonight I powered it up,
selected the star Algenib for it to slew to, it took a GPS reading, then
slewed to it, and dead center in the field of view. M15 dead center, M30
dead center. Everything I looked at was at or close to dead center. This
is sure a far cry from the 12.5" Dall-Kirkham I had for many years.

It seemed the sky was pretty bright tonight after my eyes got dark
adapted. However, I observed M15, 30, 33, 74, 77, 34, 76:  NGC7662, 891,
772, 246, 936, 1023. NGC246 is an interesting object. At first I didn't
see anything except for light haziness that filled the entire field of
view and four bright stars near the center. However, as I looked longer
a large oval shape of haziness appeared, separate from the haziness of
the rest of the field of view, that gave the four stars the appearance
of being in cocoon.
Stan