[AZ-Observing] The Moon Imaged in Narrow Band

  • From: Albert Barr <ajbarr@xxxxxx>
  • To: az-astroimaging@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 14:40:05 -0700

I was reading in the PixInsight Forum about a very interesting technique to
image the moon with narrow band filters because it’s virtually impossible to
do with LRGB filters. Way too much signal.
The guy who was writing this also used an FSQ 106 and I was really impressed
with what he did. Last night was a full moon so I did 40, .06 second subs each
of OIII and SII on the moon and calibrated everything with flats, darks and
biases.

Then I took the data into PixInsight, used deconvolution and drizzle and when I
was done with the mono files I used Pixel Math to create an RGB file similar to
a bi color using OIII for an artificial green. I then pulled out the luminance
and spent a lot of time trying to get as much detail as possible. I put the
processed luminance data back and created a new LRGB.

I was really trying to push the detail so it may be a bit much for some of you
but I really am amazed that I could actually get a decent color image of the
moon using narrow band filters. Looks better on a computer than a phone :)

Albert

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49526053@N04/15115166073/in/photostream/lightbox/
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/49526053@N04/15115166073/in/photostream/lightbox/>