[AZ-Observing] The Meade 20"

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:49:54 -0700

As you know, there are very few relatively inexpensive large telescopes
for the amateur. Meade is one of the few who has a 20". It comes as a
unit with its Max mount. In a discussion group I belong to for owners or
the Meade 16" telescopes, I asked if anyone had heard anything about the
20", good or bad. Here is one response I got that might be interesting
to some. It is to me. I would like to get this for my NM lot. The cost
of the mount and telescope is much less than Plane Wave and other
equivalent apertures. I won't give the person's name because, even
though a message in a discussion group is public information, I feel it
would not be right to elevate his name to a larger audience than he had
intended.
Stan

"I own the number 6 of this telescope. It is really impressive and works
fine. Pros: big aperture, good flat field, very stable mount, precise
goto, very simple to use (equal to lx200). Cons:  too heavy, to install
the ota it is necesary to have 4 people, the focus!!! is the worst of
this telescope, but with a feathertouch in the rear cell this telescope
is amazing.  Next week I will post a full review."