[AZ-Observing] Re: The "Hand Mirror" cluster in Puppis

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:56:41 -1000

Odd, if anything I saw a brighter spot in the center, while the outer
shape could certainly be described as "hand mirror" in shape.  I was
using a much larger scope at the time, the 18", which could certainly
account for the difference.  In both my drawing and the DSS image a
concentrated thick patch of dimmer stars is in the middle...  a
reflection in the mirror?

Andrew

My drawing with the 18"
http://www.siowl.com/dwg/ngc2509dwg.jpg

The DSS image...
http://www.siowl.com/dss/ngc2509dss15.jpg

04 Dec 2005, Sentinel, AZ, 46cm f/4.5 Deep Violet @ 175x
Small, rich, faint, an irregular spray of brighter stars surround a
small patch of dim and unresolved stars

Steve Coe wrote:
> Howdy all;
>

> I was observing in Puppis on New Moon weekend.  We were under dark skies 100
> miles from Phoenix, Arizona.  I was using my Nexstar 11 SCT.  I rated the
> night at 7/10 for seeing and 8/10 for transparency, a very good evening.
>

> The cluster NGC 2509 was observed with a 27mm Panoptic eyepiece.  My notes
> say it was pretty bright, pretty large, somewhat rich, compressed and has an
> irregular figure.  I called it the "hand mirror" cluster because it consists
> of a circlet of stars attached to a double chain that projects toward the
> SW.  This aspect is more prominent at 200X.  At that power I counted 26
> stars of mags 11 and fainter.  There are many pairs in the circlet with a
> dark middle.
>

> This round circle of stars with a dark middle and then a projection of stars
> to form a "handle" is unique in my years at the eyepiece, has anyone seen
> anything similar?
>

> Clear Skies to us all;
>
> Steve Coe

Andrew Cooper