[AZ-Observing] Sun from H-Alpha to Radio waves

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: azObserving <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:53:29 -0700

Hi Stan
I have been observing the Sun since the 60s

I have a Celestron 8" SC, a 25 year old Classic, safely stored in Tucson
until next month, with minimal equipment
I won it in a TAAA Christmas Raffle for 5 dollars !!!

I observe the Sun via internet every day, from X-rays to 100 kHz radio waves
Progress since the 60s has been amazing

Radio JOVE is an interesting program sponsored by NASA GSFC:
http://radiojove.gsfc.nasa.gov/
Observers study the Sun and Jupiter in the short wave radio band

For Radio JOVE free membership you apply at:
http://radiojove.gsfc.nasa.gov/office/appform.htm
and post at:
Radio JOVE NASA GSFC <radiojove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Kits can be ordered at:
http://radiojove.gsfc.nasa.gov/office/order_form.htm

I wrote a short article in the Radio JOVE Bulletin about a valuable
contribution to Solar Astronomy made by the Radio JOVE program:
The Great Flare of November 4 2003 - the largest X-ray flare on record
http://radiojove.gsfc.nasa.gov/library/newsletters/2009Jul/#3

I am very interested in Radio Astronomy, worked at the National Radio
Astronomy Observatory designing and building the VLA in New Mexico, and was
Head of VLA Telescope Operations in the late 70s
It is called EVLA these days

Victor