[AZ-Observing] Re: Sun In White Light and H-alpha

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 15:03:21 -0500 (EST)

I just got set up and it looks great.  If I go in H-Alpha from no  color to
full color, much more detail in the B/W but unlike other recent days, I
can't coax out the prominences unless I drop the shutter speeds a lot.  I'm
hooking up now to take some pictures at various color levels, then I'll
switch  OTAs from the Lunt to a 90mm refractor white light filter and see what
happens.  Thanks for the swap out idea, Tom.

Jim  O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star Party
_gcsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 1/5/2014 12:28:40 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
tpolakis@xxxxxxx writes:

As JD  mentioned, there's a naked-eye sunspot that's worth a look.  Here's
the  white-light image of nearly the entire disc taken with a dSLR in the
focuser.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/154032863/original

This  is an animation that toggles between white light and H-alpha images
of the  region around the large  sunspot.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/154032884

Tom