[AZ-Observing] Re: Summer Astronomy Dangers

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 13:40:10 -0700

Thank, Jeff, very good observations. Except don't elevate the bite area, keep
it low, below the heart. whatever help that would actually be.

Jack Jones
Public Events Coordinator
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix AZ
Telescoper@xxxxxxx
www.saguaroastro.org

Jack makes some good points.

While rattlesnake bites are seldom fatal for an adult, they can be
very painful and cause problems for a long time. As Jack states the
best thing to do is seek medical help ASAP. One thing you must be
careful of is as Jack points out, don't get over excited. Try to stay
calm. The idea of sucking venom out does not work. Once injected, it
only takes seconds to start circulating if injected into a vein or
artery. If injected into muscle or fat, circulation will take much
longer, but sucking the venom out will be near impossible. More
problems are created by cutting. While attempting to suck (via a
suction bulb) cannot hurt, it is unlikely to help either. Again, the
best thing to do is spend the time getting to medical help. If you
cannot, next best is to try to relax, elevate the area of the bite
and stay calm.

Also, do not play with the snake. While this may sound strange, some
people think they can easily kill or capture a snake. Snakes are very
fast, much faster than your reaction time. Stay well away. Use a long
stick to move or kill a snake or shoot it if you can. The cut off
head of a rattlesnake can still bite you, it can't strike out, but if
you get close it can still sink its fangs into you.

Most of the time rattlesnakes will go out of their way to avoid you.
If you surprise a snake or step on one, it will make them mad. Then
you best get as far away as you can.

Jeff