[AZ-Observing] SuitSat sighting

  • From: Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:40:50 -0800 (PST)

      This evening (Fri Feb 24), from my backyard in the East Valley, I saw
SuitSat with binoculars as it passed below Cassiopeia in the NW.  I'd estimate
between 4th and 5th magnitude, based on background stars.  I was looking pretty
much through the Phoenix light dome -- would need much darker skies to see it
with the naked eye.  Luckily I was looking through the binoculars ahead of
time, because the pass was about 2 minutes earlier than the prediction I had
downloaded from heavens-above.com this morning.  I followed it with the
binoculars until it disappeared in the Earth's shadow below Polaris.

  SuitSat info:
  http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/26jan_suitsat.htm

  Sunday evening (Feb 26) SuitSat will make another pass visible from Arizona.
If you want to see it yourself, here are some directions I copied from another
mailing list.

  --Joe Orman